Safer Internet Day – Family and friends
Did you know? Only 46% of Australian parents feel confident about dealing with the online risks their children face and 95% want more information about online safety.
eSafety resources can help you start the chat about being safer online, then keep building your family's digital skills throughout the year.
Launching on Safer Internet Day 2021:
- eSafety's new research report Digital Lives of Aussie Teens.
- Our new webinar for parents and carers Cyberbullying and online drama. Limited spaces. Sign up now!
- Two new resources for 2 to 8 year-olds, the Swoosh, Glide and Rule Number 5 picture book and My Family Rules song by Lah-Lah.
Steps to start the chat
You will find lots of ideas and resources by clicking on the tabs below.
1. Register your support
Show your support for Safer Internet Day, alongside millions of other people around the world. Let's work together for a better internet!
When you register we can share Safer Internet Day tips with you and let you know as soon as new resources are available, including the Digital Lives of Aussie Teens report, and the Swoosh, Glide and Rule Number 5 picture book and My Family Rules song by Lah-Lah for young children.
2. Download eSafety's free resources
Use the Promotion Kit to let your family and friends know about Safer Internet Day.
- Social media images – Help positive action trend on social! Post the start the chat tiles and the Swoosh and Glide tiles and the suggested messages, or create your own! Don't forget to add #SID2021 #StartTheChat and tag @eSafetyOffice.
- Start the chat bubble – to fill out with your kids and stick on your fridge or noticeboard, or share on social media. By telling the world you care about online safety you can encourage others to support online safety too!
- Swoosh and Glide mask templates
- Top tips for online safety for kids and young people
- Conversation starters for kids and young people
Use these resources to help start the chat about online safety.
- Research report Digital Lives of Aussie Teens. Released on Safer Internet Day 2021.
- Swoosh, Glide and Rule Number 5 picture book and My Family Rules song by Lah-Lah. There are read-along and sing-along videos too! To be released on Safer Internet Day 2021.
- Swoosh and Glide mask templates – for young children to colour and cut out. Available in the promotion kit above.
- Top tips for online safety for kids and young people – stick these on your fridge or noticeboard as a reminder. Available in the promotion kit above.
- Conversation starters for kids and young people – play the question and answer game with your family and help them find information on the eSafety website at esafety.gov.au. Available in the promotion kit above.
3. Learn new skills
eSafety's large range of advice and resources can help you learn more about online safety, then share your new knowledge and skills to help protect the people you care about most.
Start with these easy suggestions!
Join a webinar designed especially for parents and carers
This year's free, live webinar for parents and carers is Cyberbullying and online drama. There are only limited spaces, so sign up now!
Explore our online safety hub
Find out how to start the chat about online safety with your child, by exploring eSafety’s great range of advice and resources.
- Visit our Parents and carers pages, including lots of tips for helping your child have safe, enjoyable experiences online.
- Get your children learning about online safety early, with our pages developed for Kids and Young People.
- Download the Parents guide to online safety booklet, available in multiple languages.
- Show older family members how to find and bookmark Online safety for grandparents and carers, or order a printed copy of the book for them.
- Keep on top of all the games and apps your child might be using, with The eSafety Guide.
- Watch a special ABC Play School episode with your child, to spark a conversation about digital devices and online safety.
- Avoid ‘tech tantrums’ with young children by getting them to help fill out a Family Tech Agreement, featuring Big Ted, Jemima and other characters from ABC Play School.
- Read advice about How to choose good online content, in eSafety’s Early Years resources for Children under 5 and their families.
- Find out how to choose the right tech gift for your child with our Gift Guide.
- Check out our step by step guide that helps you to identify and Report abuse online.