Be an eSafe kid: Fake news, real harms
About this resource
Middle primary, Upper primary
Type of resource
Live virtual classroom event, teacher notes, student worksheet, student follow-up activities
45 minute webinar
Key learning areas
Using this resource
- identify trustworthy information about current issues
- detect fake news and sponsored endorsements
- recognise the harm caused by misinformation online.
The whole class participates in a live video lesson with a trainer. The trainer talks through PowerPoint slides and students complete a worksheet during the presentation. There are optional follow-up activities.
Topic: Be an eSafe kid: Fake news, real harms
Please note: We request that teachers register their classes for these webinars. Individual student registration will not be accepted, as connections to the online platform are limited. Schools can register for any open session hosted by eSafety or a session hosted by their school jurisdiction.
If your students are learning from home and need individual connections, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Australian Curriculum outcomes
This presentation will address Australian Curriculum English and HPE (Health and Physical Education) outcomes including:
- Discuss and interpret health information and messages in the media and internet (ACPPS039)
- Investigate community resources and ways to seek help about health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS053)
- Identify features of online texts that enhance readability including text, navigation, links, graphics and layout (ACELA1793)
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)