How to screenshot on an iPad or iPhone
A screenshot is a photo of what is on your device’s screen.
The screenshot is usually saved in the same place as all other photos you take.
Taking a screenshot with an iPad or iPhone
On devices with a Home button:
- Hold down the ‘Power’ button and press the ‘Home’ button (at the exact same time).
- If your sound is on, you will hear a camera shutter and see a ‘flash’ on the screen when you take a screenshot.
- Tap on the screenshot preview that appears in the bottom left corner of your screen, then tap ‘Done’.
- Select where you would like to save your screenshot:
- ‘Save to Photos’ – the screenshot will appear in your camera roll and in the Screenshots album of your Photos app.
- ‘Save to Files’ – the screenshot can be saved to your iCloud account.
On devices without a Home button:
- Hold down the ‘Power’ button on the right of the device (top button on an iPad) and the ‘Volume up’ button at the same time.
- Follow steps 2, 3 and 4 for devices that have a Home button.
If you have an Apple Watch:
- You must first enable the screenshot function. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, and choose ‘My Watch’, ‘General’, ‘Enable Screenshots’ and toggle it ‘On’.
- To take a screenshot on an Apple Watch hold the ‘Side’ button and click the ‘Digital Crown’ simultaneously. The screenshot will then appear on your iPhone, not the watch itself.
Remember to check your settings and make sure that your Screenshots folder is being backed up to your iCloud account. This can give you extra reassurance that the screenshot is saved.
Taking a screen recording with an iPad or iPhone
- Check your Control Centre settings in your Settings app to make sure the ‘Screen recording’ function is selected as an option.
- Open your Control Centre from the pull-down menu and tap on the grey ‘Record’ icon. This icon looks like a big dot with a thin circle on the outside. Once tapped, a three-second countdown will start.
- Swipe up to exit from the Control Centre and start recording your screen.
- Stop recording your screen by opening the Control Centre from the pull-down menu and tapping on the ‘Record’ icon, which will now be red. You can also tap the red bar with the recording time at the top of your screen to stop recording.
- The recording will be saved in the camera roll in your Photos app.
Note: There may be some apps that won’t allow you to record your screen while using them. You also won’t be able to record your screen if you are using screen mirroring at the same time.
What to do if you have a different device or computer
We also have advice on:
If none of these screenshot or screen recording methods work on your device, we suggest you open your web browser and search ‘How do I take a screenshot/screen recording with a (your device type/model)’.
There are also some apps that can be used to take a screenshot or a screen recording. Open the App Store and search ‘screen capture’ or ‘screen recorder’.
How to screenshot on an iPad or iPhone (video)
To take a screenshot on an iPhone, iPad or iPod, press and hold the power button on the top or side of the device and then press the home button.
The screen will flash indicating that a screen shot has been taken.
Swipe the image to the left to save in photos.
It will disappear from the screen but be saved in the Camera and Photos files.
To save the screenshot in a different file, or email it, touch the image to open it.
Crop the image if required.
Select the Upload icon.
Select where the image should be sent.
If the screenshot is in the Photos or Camera file, it can also be shared by selecting Upload, and choosing the right option.