How to screenshot on an Android device
A screenshot is a photo of what is on your device’s screen.
The screenshot is usually saved in the same place as all other photos you take.
Many different devices use Google’s Android operating system, so there are different ways screenshots can be taken.
You should be able to take screenshots on most Android devices by holding down the ‘Power’ and ‘Volume down’ buttons. Some devices also have a screenshot button in the pull-down menu.
Due to the large number of different devices that use Google's Android operating system, there are different ways screenshots can be taken.
If the methods we describe in this video don't work for your device, we suggest a Google search on how to take a screenshot using your particular device.
For Samsung Galaxy devices, press and hold the power button, then the home button for one to two seconds to take the screenshot.
Another option is to turn on the palm swipe to capture option in the Motion and Gesture settings of some Samsung Galaxy devices. With this enabled, simply swipe across the screen from left to right with the side of your hand to take the screenshot.
For Android devices from most other manufacturers, press and hold the power button, then the volume down button for one to two seconds to capture the screenshot.
Most Sony Xperia devices offer an additional method. Press and hold the power button for one to two seconds until the power options appear. If the option is available, select take a screenshot.
Once the screenshot is captured, it will be automatically saved in the default gallery or photo app on the device.
If none of these methods work for your new device, it might be running a version of Android earlier than 4.0. You may need to download a third-party screen capturer from the Google Play store.
Google search how to take a screenshot with the name of your device to find a solution if the methods described in this video don't work on your device.
Find out more at eSafety for Women.
Taking a screenshot on an Android device
How to screenshot on Samsung devices
- Press and hold the ‘Power’ button and the ‘Volume down’ button (at the same time) for 1 to 2 seconds to take the screenshot.
- You should see the screen flash or change before it goes back to normal.
Samsung phones also support hand gestures to take screenshots. To do this you can:
- Position your hand like you plan to karate chop the phone, then swipe the entire side of your hand along the screen from left to right.
- You may need to set this up by going to ‘Settings’, ‘Advanced features’, ‘Motion and gestures’ and ‘Palm swipe’ to capture.
If your phone has Bixby, you can use voice command to ask the voice assistant to take a screenshot for you.
How to screenshot on Google Pixel devices
- Open the screen that you want to capture.
- Press the 'Power’ and ‘Volume down’ buttons at the same time.
- Your phone will take a picture of the screen and save it.
- At the bottom left, you will find a preview of your screenshot.
If your phone has Google Assistant, you can use voice command to ask the voice assistant to take a screenshot for you.
How to screenshot on Chromebook
- A screenshot is a photo of what is on your device’s screen.
- The ‘Window Switcher’ button (or Show Windows key) is needed to take a screenshot. This button is located at the top of the keyboard and has an image of a box with lines next to it.
- Press ‘Shift, ‘Ctrl’ and ‘Show Windows’, then select ‘Screenshot’ to capture your full screen, part of the screen, or a specific window.
- Screenshots are automatically copied to your clipboard.
How to take a screen recording on Android
- Access your ‘Quick settings’ from the pull-down menu.
- Add the ‘Screen recorder’ function by clicking on the pencil icon in the bottom left corner, then tap and drag the ‘Screen recorder’ icon into your ‘Quick settings’.
- Tap the ‘Screen recorder’ icon and then tap the ‘Start’ button to start recording your screen.
- Stop recording your screen by swiping down from the top of your screen to find the Screen recorder notification bar and select ‘Tap to stop’.
- The recording is stored in your default camera roll – usually Google Photos.
What to do if you have a different device or computer
We also have advice on:
If none of these screenshot methods work on your device, we suggest you open your search engine and search ‘How do I take a screenshot/screen recording with a [add your device type/model]’.
There are also some apps that can be used to take a screenshot or take a screen recording. Open Google Play and search ‘screen capture’ or ‘screen recorder’.