Safer Internet Day 2020
Each year, Safer Internet Day offers a great opportunity to start the chat about online safety.
In 2020, the groundswell of support for our Safer Internet Day awareness-raising efforts showed just how important online safety is to Australians.
- A record 1,500 Safer Internet Day Champions joined eSafety’s campaign, spreading messages that encouraged people to ‘start the chat’ about online safety in their homes, schools, sports clubs, workplaces and communities. This was more than three times the number of Champions in 2019.
- 140 guests attended our kick-off event at Parliament House in Canberra, where Prime Minister Scott Morrison delivered an important video message urging all Australians to start the chat about online safety. We were also privileged to hear from Minister for Communications, Cyber Safety and the Arts, Paul Fletcher.
- We launched the eSafety Early Years booklet, offering practical online safety advice for parents and carers of children under 5, and thousands of people visited our national online safety hub to view and download it. In addition, 22,000 copies of the booklet were sent to Early Learning Services across Australia.
- An incredible 33,000 primary school students joined our #SID2020 Virtual Classrooms and more than 1,500 parents and carers registered for eSafety webinars over the week.
- Our media coverage reached millions of Australians.
We thank the many and varied Safer Internet Day Champions who offered outstanding support and promotion. Learn more about their efforts to inspire positive change online.
Make every day a Safer Internet Day
You can start the chat any day!
- Sign up to the eSafety newsletter to keep up to date with the latest online safety resources, advice and research, as well as our plans for Safer Internet Day 2021.
- Explore the huge range of eSafety resources specifically designed for educators, parents and carers, kids and young people.
- Download and use our conversation starters and top tips posters.
Educators and Families
Business and community
About Safer Internet Day
Safer Internet Day is a worldwide event that raises awareness about online safety and encourages everyone to help create a better internet.
Celebrated in 150 countries, Safer Internet Day is coordinated by the joint Insafe/INHOPE network, with the support of the European Commission. In Australia, the eSafety Commissioner is responsible for managing and promoting Safer Internet Day.