Quick Exit

Click here to exit quickly,
browser history won't be cleared.

Protection orders

Depending on the circumstances, you, or the police on your behalf, may be able to apply for a protection order.

A protection order can stop the person responsible from doing things like:

  • sharing or threatening to share your intimate images or videos 
  • approaching you
  • contacting you
  • monitoring where you go and what you do

To discuss a protection order, you can contact your local police, lawyer or legal service.

Police help Find a lawyer


If you get a protection order, remember that it is a crime for the person responsible for the abuse to breach it.

Once you have a protection order in place, you should let the police know immediately if you think it is being breached. For example, if the order says the person responsible must not threaten to share your intimate images and they do, you should let the police know right away.

Make sure you keep a record of any incidents you think are breaches as this may help if evidence is required later on.

Collecting evidence


You can also get advice on how the law relates to your situation from Family Violence Law Help.

Protection orders

Protection orders are known by different names in Australian states and territories. These are:

Australian Capital Territory

  • Domestic Violence Orders
  • Personal Protection Orders

New South Wales

  • Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders
  • Apprehended Personal Violence Orders

Northern Territory

  • Domestic Violence Orders
  • Personal Violence Orders


  • Domestic Violence Orders
  • Peace and Good Behaviour Orders

South Australia

  • Intervention Orders


  • Family Violence Orders
  • Restraint Orders


  • Family Violence Intervention Orders
  • Personal Safety Intervention Orders

Western Australia

  • Family Violence Restraining Orders
  • Misconduct Restraining Orders