Tips on how to stay safe online during the COVID-19 pandemic

Quick Exit

Click here to exit quickly,
browser history won't be cleared.

Get help from the police

If you are experiencing image-based abuse, your local police may be able to help.

In some cases, the police may be able to charge the person responsible with a criminal offence.

Contacting the police

For non-emergencies, you can call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or contact your local police station.

Stay safe

If you are feeling unsafe now, call the police on Triple Zero (000).

If you are experiencing image-based abuse as part of an abusive relationship, contact 1800RESPECT for help with safety planning. Learn more and connect with support.

You can call the police or visit your local police station to report image-based abuse (also known as ‘revenge porn’). You can also report a cybercrime via the Cyber Issue Reporting System. It is helpful to take a supportive friend or family member along when you meet with the police. They can help by taking notes so you can read over them later. 

Make sure you write down the police report or event number, and the name and rank of the officer you speak with in case you need it later. Our ‘what to take to the police’ form will help you provide the police with useful background information about your case and we also have advice on how to collect evidence. Remember that even if a police report is not made, you can get an event number, so there is a record of going to the police.

There may be a specialist police officer you can talk to.

  • If your situation involves domestic and family violence you can ask to speak to a specialist Domestic Violence Liaison Officer.
  • If you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or intersex (LGBTIQ+) you can ask to speak with a Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officer.
  • If you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander you can ask to speak to an Aboriginal Liaison Officer.
  • If you are from an ethnic or multicultural community you can ask to speak with either an Ethnic Community Liaison Officer or a Multicultural Community Liaison Officer.

How can police help?

This depends on the laws that apply within your state or territory. Laws are different in each state and territory and can be complex. Your local police can help you to work out whether there are laws that may apply in your case.

Even if the police are not able to act, ask them to record your complaint in a report. This means that if the image-based abuse continues or gets worse, there is a history of your concerns.

Preparing to go to the police

It will be easier for the police to help if you give them as much information as you can. It may be useful to show them evidence so they can understand exactly what happened. This can include screenshots of the images and the web address or URLs of any images or video that have been posted or shared. You can black out intimate bits of the images in screenshots that you do not want others to see. The ‘what to take to the police’ form outlines the kind of information the police may need.

Collecting evidence