Finding support

If someone is abusing, threatening or stalking you through technology, remember it is not your fault and it is definitely not OK.

The abuser’s behaviour can be very difficult to understand, and you can waste a lot of energy and time trying to work out what is driving them and why they won’t stop.

Once you have your eSafety plan, it is time to focus on yourself and on those you love, rather than on the abuser. The more you focus on the abuse, the more distressed you will feel.

Getting good support straight away will help you and those you love cope better not only now but also in the future.

Triple zero
Violence against women - Let's stop it at the start -

If you are, or have been, abused, threatened or stalked through technology:

1800RESPECT logo

Contact 1800RESPECT
(1800 737 732)

1800RESPECT offers 24/7, free and confidential safety planning, counselling and support for all kinds of abuse, including family abuse and sexual abuse. They can also link you into local services if you need them.

Their experienced counsellors work with and support women who live in abusive relationships. 
Beyond blue logo and the text, 1300 224 636 - 24 hours a day, seven days a week; online chat – 4pm–10pm (AEST) seven days a week

Contact beyondblue support
(1300 22 4636)

beyondblue offers 24/7 free and confidential support from a mental health professional.

They can help identify if you are experiencing a depression or anxiety, which is treatable.

Feelings of depression or anxiety commonly occur after a person is abused.

Lifeline logo and the text - 13 11 14, 24 hours a day, seven days a week

Contact Lifeline
(13 11 14)

Lifeline offers 24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services to those experiencing a personal crisis.

Lifeline's 24 hour crisis can help you with:
  • Suicidal thoughts or attempts
  • Personal crisis
  • Abuse and trauma
  • Self-help information for friends and family

Contact a psychologist and/or a counsellor

Your doctor (GP) can refer you to a counsellor through a local health service, mental health nurses or a psychologist. Your GP does this through the Mental Health Treatment Plan Program, which is subsidised by Medicare.

Urgent psychiatric help

If you or someone you love has a serious psychiatric or psychological episode, such as hallucinations or intends to harm or kill themselves, contact their GP, counsellor or psychologist. If you cannot find someone who is available, you can take, or call an ambulance to take them, to the local hospital emergency department.

Call Triple Zero (000) for an ambulance if there are immediate safety concerns for the person or for others.

If it is safe for you to stay

Don’t leave alone any person who has expressed an intent to kill themselves. Stay with them until help arrives or you can get them to help.

If it is not safe for you to stay

Because they are abusive or in a dangerous situation, you must put your safety first. Leave safely and then call Triple Zero (000).

You can also call Lifeline (13 11 14) for support and follow their 3 steps to prevent suicide. Look under Facts and Information on the Lifeline website.

If anyone is in immediate danger call Triple Zero (000) now.

Contacts for children and young people

If your child is:

  • at school, TAFE or university you can seek support through their education provider, if you feel comfortable doing so. Talk to the welfare officer, counsellor or student well-being coordinator.
  • aged 8 to 25 contact Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800). They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, free of charge. Counsellors can also chat online at Kids Helpline.
  • aged 12 to 25 eHeadspace offers free online counselling for young people aged 12 to 25 and their families.
  • aged 12 to 25 Headspace offers free or low cost face-to-face support for young people aged 12 to 25, and their families. Centres are located around Australia: contact the centre near you directly for an appointment.

Help for the abuser

If a person abusing you, your family or friends is in serious danger, threatening to harm themselves or others, or is clearly psychologically unwell, call Triple Zero (000).

You must put your safety first, leave the situation if you can do so safely and call for help as soon as you can. Even if they are close to you, the best thing is to get yourself and others away quickly and safely and then call for help. You will not be able to help them yourself and may put yourself and others in danger if you stay and try.

MensLine Australia

MensLine Australia (1300 78 99 78) is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, is available from anywhere in Australia and is staffed by professional counsellors, providing men with confidential and anonymous information and support.

Help with identity theft

iDcare logoIDCARE can help you deal with the consequences of identity theft.

IDCARE is Australia and New Zealand’s National Identity Support Service. IDCARE is an independent national service created by leading organisations from government and industry that care about people's information and privacy. Its services are free to the community and IDCARE’s expertise lies in supporting individuals and organisations when identity information has been put at risk. Their services transcend the online, digital and physical environments. Their clients receive a tailored response plan that's designed to respond to immediate concerns and mitigate future risks. IDCARE’s trained Identity Security Counsellors are there to support you every step of the way.

For more information about IDCARE please visit or Call IDCARE’s national toll-free hotline: 1300 432 273 (AUS)

Sign up for eSafety News

Stay up to date with online
issues, new resources, events, and the latest research.