Need help dealing with violent or distressing online content? Learn more

Counselling and support services

If you are experiencing any form of online abuse you do not need to face it alone. Talking to someone makes it easier to decide what to do and deal with the impact.

Crisis Support

If you, or someone you care about, is at risk of harm right now call Triple Zero (000).


If you are having thoughts about suicide or self-harm please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467

Kids Helpline

5 to 25 year olds. All issues. Confidential phone counselling available all day, every day. Online chat available 24/7, 365 days a year.


12 to 25 year olds. All issues. Phone counselling and online chat available 9am to 1am AEST, every day.

Australian Human Rights Commission

Investigates and resolves complaints of discrimination and breaches of human rights, including racism and sexual discrimination. You can make a complaint no matter where you live in Australia. The service is free and impartial.

Bullying. No Way!

Information and resources for young people, parents and carers, and schools relating to bullying education and prevention.

Butterfly Foundation

The Butterfly Foundation provides help for people experiencing eating disorders or body image issues, and those that care for them. It also provides support to professionals managing these issues with clients.

Community health centres

Local community health centres offer face-to-face counselling. To find one in your local area, search for ‘Community Health Centre’ online.

Family Relationship Advice Line

Referral service that provides a range of services to assist families manage relationship issues, including counselling, family dispute resolution, legal advice, financial advice, family mediation and dispute resolution and information in other languages.

Family violence law help

Online resources for people wanting to understand domestic and family violence, the law and where to get help.

General practitioners (GP)

You can ask your GP for a referral to a counsellor/psychologist if you need. You don’t have to tell the GP what happened — simply explain that you need support as you are feeling very sad/angry/worried. If you meet the criteria for a mental health treatment plan, some of your out-of-pocket expenses for a counsellor/psychologist may be covered by Medicare.

Head to Health

Information, resources and services to support you no matter where you are on your mental health journey.


Articles, resources and training for lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer and/or intersex young people. As well as professional training to help support LGBTQI people.


If you, or someone you care about, is at risk of harm right now call Triple Zero (000).


14 to 25 year olds – All issues. Online resources and 24 hour online peer support.

Parents – Resources and peer support plus phone and online counselling.

Schools and universities

You may be able to get face-to-face counselling through your school, TAFE or university. Ask for student welfare or counselling and support.

Suicide Call Back Service

Suicide Call Back Service is a free, independent and confidential nationwide service that provides professional phone and online counselling to people who are affected by suicide. Available all day, every day.

Urgent psychiatric help

If you are experiencing a serious episode, tell a friend, call your GP, counsellor or psychologist. If you fear for your safety, or the safety of others, call Triple Zero (000).

Youth Law Australia

Free legal advice and information for young people under 25.