Safety by Design
Safety by Design puts user safety and rights at the centre of the design and development of online products and services.
Rather than retrofitting safeguards after an issue has occurred, Safety by Design focuses on the ways technology companies can minimise online threats by anticipating, detecting and eliminating online harms before they occur.
This proactive and preventative approach focuses on embedding safety into the culture and leadership of an organisation. It emphasises accountability and aims to foster more positive, civil and rewarding online experiences for everyone.
Safety by Design also acknowledges the need to make digital spaces safer and more inclusive to protect those most at risk.
It encourages technology companies to alter their design ethos from ‘moving fast and breaking things’ or ‘profit at all costs’ to ‘moving thoughtfully’, investing in risk mitigation at the front end and embedding user protections from the get-go.
All Safety by Design initiatives have been developed through in-depth research and consultation with industry for industry.
Overview of Safety by Design
Julie Inman Grant talks about the Safety by Design initiatives.
Research and consultation for Safety by Design began in 2018. It now includes:
- a set of principles that position user safety as a fundamental design consideration
- interactive assessment tools for enterprise and start up technology companies
- resources for investors and financial entities
- engagement with the tertiary education sector to embed Safety by Design into curricula around the world.
Initiatives in development
Initiatives in development include:
- encouraging adoption of Safety by Design by governments, industry and organisations globally
- working with the investment community to incorporate Safety by Design into investment criteria and responsible investment practices
- generating practical engagement of the Safety by Design tools and principles within the start-up community
- focusing on diverse, marginalised and at-risk groups to ensure their needs are effectively considered, incorporated and actioned in Safety by Design practices
- developing targeted Safety by Design resources for new and emerging sectors.
Check how your company can improve user safety
Start by assessing how well your company's systems, processes and practices support user safety, then use your tailored report and the suggested resources to make improvements.
The enterprise tool is for mid-tier companies (50 to 249 employees worldwide) and top-tier companies (250+ employees worldwide).
The start up tool is for early stage or start-up companies (1 to 49 employees worldwide).