Unwanted contact can include:

  • being asked inappropriate or personal questions by someone you don’t know
  • being sent offensive, confronting or obscene content
  • being asked to send intimate pictures or do things online that make you feel uncomfortable.

How do I deal with it?

  • Don’t respond and immediately leave the site or chat session.
  • Report it to an adult that you trust or to the police if there is a threat to your safety.
  • Report and block the contact or remove them from your friends list.
  • Change your profile settings so that your personal details are kept private. 
  • Don’t open messages from people you don’t know.
  • Keep the evidence. This can be useful in tracking the person posting unsuitable material.
  • Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and/or telephone provider, or the website administrator. There are actions that they can take to help you.

Where do I go for help?

Australian Federal Police (AFP) Online Child Protection Unit

You, as well as adults acting on your behalf, can report abuse or illegal activity online to the AFP’s Online Child Protection Unit by using their online child sex exploitation form or by clicking on the Report Abuse button on the ThinkUKnow or Virtual global taskforce website.

Sign up for eSafety News

Stay up to date with online
issues, new resources, events, and the latest research.