Protection orders

You, or the police on your behalf, can apply for a protection order to stop the perpetrator from doing things like:

  • threatening to share your naked, sexual or intimate photos or videos
  • approaching you
  • contacting you
  • monitoring where you go and what you do

To discuss a protection order, you can contact your local police, lawyer or legal service.

If you secure a protection order, remember that it is a crime to breach a protection order. Once you have a protection order in place, you should let the police know immediately if you think it is being breached. For example, if the order says the perpetrator must not come within 500 metres of your house but they drive past it, you should let the police know right away.

Make sure you keep a record of any incidents you think are breaches as this may help if evidence is required later on.

How to collect evidence

Protection orders are known by different names in Australian states and territories. These are:

Australian Capital Territory
Domestic Violence Orders
New South Wales
Apprehended Domestic Violence Orders
Northern Territory
Domestic Violence Orders
Domestic Violence Protection Orders
South Australia
Intervention Orders
Family Violence Orders
Family Violence Intervention Orders
Western Australia
Violence Restraining Orders