Tips on how to stay safe online during the COVID-19 pandemic

COVID-19 Alert

Due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) it may take longer than usual to address all reports or enquiries made with our investigation teams.

Please continue to submit reports and we will review them as soon as possible.

If you are worried about your safety or are at risk of harm right now contact police immediately by calling Triple Zero (000).

If you need someone to talk to and are under 25, contact Kids Helpline (1800 55 1800).
For all other ages, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Violent or inappropriate content

Just like in your offline life, when you’re online you might come across something you’d rather not see. It might be content that is upsetting, disturbing or offensive.

What to do

It’s also easy to encounter things you don’t want to see on social media or in private chats. Someone you know might send you an image or a link to content that you just don’t want to see.

Report offensive or illegal content

The content might be promoting a crime, terrorism or child sexual abuse. If someone sends you a link to material like this or you see something online you think might be illegal, you can report it to eSafety.

If you come across other content you think is offensive or illegal you can report it to the website, social media service, app or game it was posted on. You can find direct reporting links in the eSafety Guide

Block, delete and unfollow

If someone repeatedly sends you content you don’t want to see, block, unfollow or delete them. For more information on how to block and unfollow people in specific social media services, apps and games, see the eSafety Guide.

Check your privacy settings

It’s a good idea to check your privacy settings to help prevent people sending you content you don’t want to see. Find out more about privacy settings in specific social media services, games and apps in the eSafety Guide.

Get help and support

If you do see something online that is distressing, leave the page immediately and talk about it with an adult or someone who can support you. There are also many professional online and phone counselling services that can provide you with confidential support.