Report to the eSafety Commissioner
If you are experiencing image-based abuse remember that you are not alone, and we are here to help and support you.
We will work with you and do our best to help get the image or video removed. In some cases, we may also be able to take action against the person who posted, or threatened to post, an intimate image without consent if this is something you want.
How eSafety can help
How to make an image-based abuse report
You can find detailed information about how to make a report, including the relevant information and evidence you need, in the reporting section of our website:
- Step by step guide to making an image-based abuse report
- Frequently asked questions about making a report
- How we handle reports
- Collecting evidence
Civil penalties scheme
The civil penalties scheme introduced in September 2018 gives us the power to get image-based abuse material removed as quickly as possible. In some cases, we may also be able to take action against the person responsible for the image-based abuse.
Who can make an image-based abuse report to eSafety?
You can report image-based abuse to eSafety if:
- you are the person in the intimate image or video, or
- you have been authorised by the person in the intimate image or video to make a report on their behalf, or
- you are a parent or guardian on behalf of a child who is under 16, or
- you are a parent or guardian on behalf of a person who is in a mental or physical condition that means they need assistance to manage their own affairs
Please be aware that we can only consider a report if:
- the person in the image lives in Australia, or
- the person who posted the image lives in Australia, or
- the intimate image is hosted in Australia
In response to a report, we can help to get the image removed and we may be able to take action against the person responsible for the image-based abuse. To find out about how eSafety can respond to reports read about the civil penalties scheme.
The collection notification sets out the type of information we may collect, why we collect that information and how it may be used in managing your report. You can also read our freedom of information policy.