Finding a lawyer

If you are considering pursuing legal action against the perpetrator, seeking legal advice is strongly recommended.

You can meet with your chosen lawyer or use one of the following legal services:

Community legal centres

Community legal centres are not-for-profit organisations that provide legal help and related services. Search the National Association of Community Legal Centres for your nearest community legal centre.

Specialised community legal centres

Women’s Legal Services — these are located in every state and territory in Australia. Women’s Legal Services provide advice, information, casework and legal education to women on all legal issues, but particularly family and family violence matters. Find a Women’s Legal Service near you .

The National Children’s and Youth Law Centre — the Centre provides information, referrals, advice and training on the legal rights of children and young people. You can request legal advice using the Lawstuff form .

Contacting a lawyer

A lawyer or legal service can help by discussing your legal options, including how to apply for a protection order if you need one. They might also speak to the police with you. It will save time if you collect information before you contact a lawyer.

What to take to a lawyer