Content sharing refers to the sharing of data online. It could be a simple text update, comment, image, video or any kind of file format containing data. Content may be shared with a limited group of users or may be publicly available for anyone to view, access or download.
What are the benefits?
- Sharing content allows you to connect with people
You can share a special moment with family and friends or simply share an idea or thought.
- Stay up to date with news and events
You can stay up to date with the latest news and events from around the world.
- Collaborate with other people
You can collaborate online with other people or work on a single document simultaneously.
- Data can be stored and backed up online
Storing data in the cloud, or in a hosted online service, ensures it is backed up and allows you to access it from multiple locations.
What are the risks?
- Exposure to inappropriate content
You could be exposed to content you do not want to see or that is violent, sexualised or not age appropriate.
- Inadvertent disclosure of your location or personal information
Content you share online could reveal your location or personal information, such as your date of birth, address and contact details.
- Content may be shared without your consent
Someone may share your data with other people who you do not want to be able to see or access it.
- Damage to your online reputation
Any content you share online can form part of your lasting digital footprint and may be difficult to remove if it has been copied or shared.
You can view content sharing services in the eSafety guide.