Youth and online gaming - state of play
eSafety has drawn together data from its 2017 Youth Participation Survey for this report into youth and online gaming. As one of the first pieces of research on this topic in Australia, this report aims to better understand:
- the level of interest in online gaming, multiplayer gaming and eSports among young people in Australia
- the prevalence of in-game bullying and coping strategies adopted if bullying is experienced.
- Online multiplayer gaming is a very popular activity for young Australians, with 6 in 10 young people aged 8 to 17 having played these games.
- Nearly 1 in 2 young people have played eSport video games.
- An estimated 17% of multiplayer gamers have experienced in-game bullying.
Download the report
About the research
This report presents findings from eSafety’s 2017 Youth Digital Participation survey, which fielded a number of questions relating to online gaming. The survey comprised a nationally representative random sample of 3,017 young people aged 8 to 17.