What is technology-facilitated abuse?
Learn how to recognise different kinds of online abuse and stay safe.
Technology-facilitated abuse can take many forms, such as:
- abusive messages or calls
- account take overs — where someone accesses your online accounts and locks you out of them
- image-based abuse — when someone shares or threatens to share an intimate image of you without your consent
- fake social media accounts — when fake accounts are being used to harass you or post negative comments about you online
- being tracked through a phone or device — when tracking techniques or spyware are used to see where you are
If you are experiencing technology-facilitated abuse as part of domestic or family violence, it can be very distressing.
In this section you can learn more about different types of technology-facilitated abuse and how to deal with them.
If you are unsure if you are at risk of technology-facilitated abuse, read ‘what are the warning signs?’.